Many to many references

Hello!
There is an idea to store user structure data in a datagerry.

Let’s say, we have groups, for example admins, users, VPN users
And ofc, users in groups.

Type structure:

1. group
  2. user

User can be in several groups.
Groups, ofcourse contains more, than one user.

The problem is connecting groups and users correctly.
If we’ll create a field ‘groups’ in the user type that refs to a ‘group’ type, it’s not possible to refer to several group entries.
If we’ll create a field ‘members’ in group type with ref to ‘user’ type, then again there is no way to refer to several users.

So, it’s classical many to many problem, that works in relational databases via connection table, but if we’ll create, for example ‘membership’ type, with refs to ‘user’ and ‘group’ types, that looks awfull in UI.

So, don’t you have plans to implement something, that will make many to many references usable, or maybe already there’s a solution, that i missed?

Hi @thunderb1rd,
we just added 1 to many relations with our last release (MultiDataSections or MDS). This was the first step in preparation for many to many relations.

We have plans to implement many to many relations in the future but the exact date is not set yet.

BR Adnan

@adnan.smajic As i can see from release notes, there’s some restrictions for now, am i right, that MDS currently can’t be used, when uploading data via API?

Hi @thunderb1rd ,
yeah, at the current state of development this is correct.

BR Adnan

@adnan.smajic thanks for clearing this out, will wait for that feature :slight_smile: