Quick questions

I just downloaded your product and i am playing around with it and wondered if there is a way to perform the following:

1. During the creation of a object to dynamically attach it to another category depending on some reference selections?
  2. Is it possible to reference a type and then depending on that type selection reference another type?

Thank you
Best Regards
Konstantinos Betsis

1 Like

Hi @kbetsis

and welcome to our community!

Let me answer your questions:

1. Currently whole types (not single objects) are attached to a category. The definition is fixed by type and at the moment categories are used to build the menu on the left side. If you choose a category and type from the menu, all objects of that type are shown.

2. This is currently not possible. For our next release in November we are working to define one reference to multiple types (e.g. a field “device” which can be a router or switch type).

If you like, you are welcome to tell a bit more about your use cases, so we can see, if find a solution or bring some user stories on our roadmap.

1 Like

Hi @mbatz

Thanks for the feedback.
I am trying to build a cmdb for Managed Services.

So defining the devices is the last part, the thing that troubles me is the data input where one would have to choose from some drop down references and references cannot be linked e.g. Organizations type and Branches type.

I could put two references in the router in terms of Organization owner and Branch location however when you have multiple Organizations ideally the respective Branches should be presented.

Regarding the LDAP authentication,
Can i have LDAP users dynamically linked to groups?

I don’t see any documentation on how to do that.

1 Like

Hi @kbetsis,

thanks for your description. This is an interesting idea, I have to think about that topic of “linking references”. Maybe we can implement a solution here.

Currently, all new authenticated LDAP users are added to a default group (by default this is the user group). After that you can change the group of the authenticated users in the user management. For version 1.5 (which will be released in February 2021) we plan a new right management and part of this will also be linking LDAP created users to groups dynamically. This is also a wish from a few of our customers and is handled in NET-575.

1 Like

Hi @mbatz

Ideally for LDAP mapped users one would wish to map remote user-groups to locally defined user-groups and assign their privileges on Datagerry.

This would then translate to something like below:

1. Create an LDAP authentication server with it’s details.
  2. Create a user-group
  3. Define the LDAP matching parameter e.g. memberOf and then the LDAP name.

For the reference linking this would greatly help with the respective data entry of objects.
Since we can create an object and reference it with another, it would make sense to have another type e.g. “linkedReference” where a user could select the following:

1. The parent reference
  2. The child reference
    This would translate to “branches” of “organization”. So when organization_A is selected only branches which are attached to that organization can be referenced.

This makes sense for devices attached to customer branches a lot. Otherwise a user would need to select the parent reference which would be the organization and then the branch which would be a list of all customer branches.

When organizations on average more than 100 branches you can see this gets completely out of hand.

Does that help?

Thank you
Best Regards
Konstantinos Betsis

1 Like

Hi @kbetsis,

thanks for your explanations. I will keep that in mind, when we redesign the LDAP authentication for version 1.5. I like your idea of linking references. This may be implemented at a later date.

1 Like