A few fundamental questions

Hello Community,

I have a few general questions about Datagerry. I am currently evaluating different CMDBs for a medium-sized german company and have stumbled over Datagerry. Since no one has answered me on direct contact with the creators, I thought I’d try the community.

• Is the project still under active development? I haven’t found a roadmap or anything like that? In general, the number of changelogs have become less and less in the last releases.
  • Is there a direct contact person? I see that @sergej.dumler is the only admin here, is that right? Is the project supported by a support team? This would be important for me, as I have company internal requirements for the implementation of new software.
  • Is there a way to create feature requests?
  • What about bug fixing? According to the website I would need at least prime support for this?

Thank you very much
Gregor

2 Likes

Hello Gregor,

thank you very much for your posting.

let me give you a few answers to your questions:

Is the project still under active development?

Yes it is.

I haven’t found a roadmap or anything like that?

We do have a roadmap. You can find it on Jira using this link:

https://nethinks.atlassian.net/

We also have a release plan, which is not public yet.

In general, the number of changelogs have become less and less in the last releases.

In the major release we publish more features then in the minor releases. The last major release was 1.6. The main feature was the new implementation of references. This was really a big issue:
https://nethinks.atlassian.net/browse/NET-952

Is there a direct contact person? I see that @sergej.dumler is the only admin here, is that right?

We only offer direct contact persons to customers with support contracts. The community is being read frequently and answered as well.

Is the project supported by a support team? This would be important for me, as I have company internal requirements for the implementation of new software.

Yes we have more than one person involved with the project

Is there a way to create feature requests?

You can create feature requests via the community platform. We are discussing internally whether or not the new request is relevant for the development of DATAGERRY. If yes, we put it on the roadmap. After this it will be scheduled and planned for one of the future releases.

What about bug fixing? According to the website I would need at least prime support for this?

We take care about fixing bugs. Bugs will put to the backlog immediately. Normaly we fix bugs within two weeks. Critical bugs will be fixed slightly faster. If you want to have guaranteed fixes, we recommend having a support contract with us.

Hope this helps.

regards, Uwe

2 Likes

Hello @uwe ,

Thank you very much for this detailed feedback. This really clarifies a few things.

Good to hear!
Why I ask the question: Unfortunately, we had problems with a few solutions, which stopped their development relatively early. Especially with such a in depth system like a CMDB it is important for us to have an active development there. A good starting point for this is to look into the repository. There you can see a consistent drop in activity since october last year. Is the Github repository your main repo or just a mirror which is updated on release?

We do have a roadmap.

Yes, I have seen the backlog. There are also several features in planning which would be interesting. However, I would be more interested in a roadmap/release plan. I think I am not alone here.

We only offer direct contact persons to customers with support contracts.

So I have to buy an expensive support contract before I can talk to someone? I have written to contact@datagerry.com, but have not received a reply.

Yes we have more than one person involved with the project

I am very happy about that! :+1: I was just a bit confused since there is not much activity here on the board. But your quick reply shows the opposite.

Is there a way to create feature requests?
Oh i see, ok. Is there also a way to contribute to the development independently?

We take care about fixing bugs.
Thanks a lot !

1 Like

Hello Gregor,

Good to hear!
Why I ask the question: Unfortunately, we had problems with a few solutions, which stopped their development relatively early. Especially with such a in depth system like a CMDB it is important for us to have an active development there.

Especially this was one of the reasons why we started the project DATAGERRY. We are mainly an ISP and maintaining several thousand lines, devices, ports and services. All CMDB we found, did not fit our needs. So we have an intrinsic interest in maintaining this software for a long time.

*A good starting point for this is to look into the repository. There you can see a consistent drop in activity since October last year. Is the Github repository your main repo or just a mirror which is updated on release?

Github is not only a mirror. We are working directly with it.

Yes, I have seen the backlog. There are also several features in planning which would be interesting. However, I would be more interested in a roadmap/release plan. I think I am not alone here.

We will try communicate more about our future plans regarding DATAGERRY. We will discuss internally how we can do this.

We only offer direct contact persons to customers with support contracts.
So I have to buy an expensive support contract before I can talk to someone?

Well, the development of DATAGERRY is not free for us. Our developers want some frequent payment and we love to give it to them. Having some kind of revenue would be nice.

I have written to contact@datagerry.com, but have not received a reply.

We will fix this. Sorry for that. We will integrate this address into our ticket system

Oh i see, ok. Is there also a way to contribute to the development independently?

Yes, but it’s not that easy. We need an agreement with the contributor about the development and we need some kind of quality control. Very important is that new features need to fit into our (not published) plans for development.
If you are interested in contributing, let us know. Your are welcome.

regards Uwe

1 Like

We have similar reasons to rebuild our current CMDB structure. One of the reasons I took a closer look at Datagerry was its dynamic object structure, which is simply not available in many CMDBs. In general, we still miss a lot of standard features that other CMDBs offer. I’ll still take Datagerry into a second round of evaluation to see what our IT department has to say about it - can give feedback there if welcome.

Since you brought it up, one of the reasons for Datagerry is the open source concept. We try to follow a company wide open source principle (besides MS Office). Why follow an open source approach if the developers have to be financed by it? (If I may ask this very company internal question - can also be ignored)

We will fix this. Sorry for that. We will integrate this address into our ticket system
This can happen.

Greetings and have a nice weekend
Gregor

1 Like

We have similar reasons to rebuild our current CMDB structure. One of the reasons I took a closer look at Datagerry was its dynamic object structure, which is simply not available in many CMDBs.

This also was one of the main reasons for starting DATAGERRY

In general, we still miss a lot of standard features that other CMDBs offer.

Yes, there are several features which could be included. If you have a short bullet-point-list it would be nice to know your thoughts.

I’ll still take Datagerry into a second round of evaluation to see what our IT department has to say about it - can give feedback there if welcome.

I am looking forward in hearing from them

Since you brought it up, one of the reasons for Datagerry is the open source concept. We try to follow a company wide open source principle (besides MS Office). Why follow an open source approach if the developers have to be financed by it? (If I may ask this very company internal question - can also be ignored)

Well this would lead to the same discussion which starts often around Open Source Projects. Even if the Software is OpenSource, someone has to pay for. But maybe we should continue this discussion via different media.

I appreciate your postings, Uwe

We are currently evaluating Datagerry internally. I would be happy to provide a short list of features that are missing and relatively important, but many of them I have already found here on the board. I try to rank it from important to less important:

• Reporting / Statistics
  • Warnings / Escalation
  • Content / Event related actions (This is only very bulky/minimally implemented according to first evaluation).
  • Relationship Visualization/Export
  • Many-To-Many Relationship
  • Single Sign On Support
  • Content Prioritization
  • Task Management
  • Theming / CD Branding

These are just a few of the points that would be relatively important for us. Is there a way to somehow compare these with your (internal) roadmap?

Hi @uwe

I have received feedback from our IT department today. First of all, I think Datagerry is relatively good overall, but after about 2 years it is still in its beginnings, so I’m sorry to tell you that we decided against Datagerry. This has several reasons. But as promised, I will give you a short list of the feedback. Unfortunately, with such a centralized system, we have to follow some guidelines and specifications, because a collapse of a critical system can have extreme consequences for us.

3 most important points:

Far too little functionality
As already mentioned above, we are still missing far too many functions, which are actually an absolute standard within a CMDB.

Little bit unstable
Unfortunately the system is quite unstable. Whether this was only due to our environment or a general problem I can’t say. We had many connection error sites (wrong error message by the way).

The system does not scale
I find the term “enterprise-grade” a bit inconveniently chosen, as it is clearly not taken into account for various elements. Among other things, extreme amounts of data have been loaded into the frontend. Mobile this is hardly usable, since alone the frontend environment without data pulls several MB and many elements there are apparently not tested (buttons do not work etc). In our case, the system was no longer properly usable with approx. 50,000 objects, as extreme loading times occurred. A cache system etc. we have not found.

Important points:

Documentation almost non-existent
The documentation is extremely sparse. Since we cannot use Docker for internal reasons, we had to install manually. Is there a system architecture or overview? We only found what was absolutely necessary in the documentation. A user guide was completely missing. The rest of the API was also very sparsely described.

Development will be continued?
As mentioned above, I was a bit skeptical about the development, because the Github repository seems a bit different. Especially with the AUTHORS.md you can see that several people have left the project. Currently the commits are done by only one person. That’s why I asked if Github is a mirror (something like that can happen when the data is bundled).

I have been working in open source projects for over 20 years and have seen this picture more often. I would be happy if you could convince me otherwise.

I still wish Datagerry all the best and hope that you develop well.
Many greetings
Gregor